Sunday, June 22, 2014

San Francisco.

This city, albeit outrageously expensive, was full of life. The buildings were bright, the streets were steep and crooked, the people were friendly, and the whole city was bursting with energy. The day we arrived, Shannon and I went to the Beat Museum down the road from our hostel. Incidentally, the beat poets Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac are my idols. They featured our area of the city, North Beach, and I can understand their affinity for San Francisco. The place is magical. Anyways, while we were touring the museum, we were commissioned to help the owners move some things around and clean some display boxes. As a fan of the beats, I could think of no higher honor. Afterwards we were paid with $50 worth of beatnik posters, and we were satisfied customers. The next few days were a kaleidoscopic blur of late night jaunts on rooftops, bike rides through fishing towns, mint mojito iced coffee, hippie adventures, sea side clam chowder, treks through redwood forests, and card games with an aussie, a dane, a southern belle, and a  hostel worker. I loved every minute.




Biked across the golden gate bridge.


John Muir woods. My phone couldn't do it justice.



Haight-Ashbury aka hippie central


For our trip to Haight-Asbury I made a wildflower crown.


The ferry ride back from Sausalito.



Tea and fresh fruit for every breakfast :)


Random wall art in the Mission district.


The delicious mint mojito coffee. 



Me and my bud Jack Kerouac.


North Beach--home to the beatniks.



Cleaning displays at the beat museum.


Enjoying the famous clam chowder down at Fisherman's Wharf.



My mantra this leg: "Be in love with your life. Every minute of it." -Jack Kerouac

No comments:

Post a Comment