Monday, June 9, 2014

Leg One: Lake Tahoe

My wandering spirit finally prompted me to get out of Ogden and hit the open road. My heart has always been tethered to the pines and the mountains, so there was no better destination than the Pacific Northwest. Not only is the PNW full of hippies (my favorite breed of human) it is full of vibrant life and infinite outdoor adventures. Adhering to my favorite quotes as my road trip manta's, Shannon and I hit the road bright and early on the first of June with a heightened sense of euphoria. There is nothing quite like embarking on a journey, designed solely for self-discovery, knowing that you are guaranteed to have life changing experiences, meet  interesting and beautiful souls, and set foot to places that you have never been before. It is incredibly moving. I am merely week into my journey, yet I feel as though I have experienced debilitating pitfalls, pure elation, and everything in between. It is so beautiful to feel everything so deeply.

Our first destination was Lake Tahoe. We opted to drive the entire 9+ hours to Lake Tahoe in one day. This proved to be painless, due to the fact that we enjoyed the fascinating book Under the Banner of Heaven, as well as this song, which helped the hours pass quickly. Thanks to the website freecamsites.net we were able to find a stellar site amongst the Sierra Nevada mountains. The next morning we drove into the town of South Lake Tahoe and hit the beach for some kayaking. The scenery was beyond stunning. Not only did we enjoy the spoils of white sand beaches and crystalline blue waters, we were also rewarded with panoramic views of craggy snow capped mountains and towering pines. We took a few refreshing dips in the alpine lake and made our way back to the beach to lie on the warm sand. Finally, when we were warm enough, we headed to a local eatery called Sprouts that served delicious, wholesome, healthy food. I ordered potato leek soup and a fresh peach smoothie, and it was divine. I was in heaven. After doing some research, we hit the road again and headed to the highly acclaimed Sand Harbor. We decided to stick it to the man and refused to pay the $12 fee, so we opted to hike into the cove instead. We scrambled over huge granite boulders, which proved to be exhausting, but the views were awe-inspiring. After a full day of adventure we made our way back to camp and dwindled the night away by the campfire.










Here is my favorite quote that I think perfectly describes the first leg and of my Great Pacific Adventure as well as the wanderlust that compelled me to hit the open road:

"She always had that look about her,
that look of otherness, of
eyes that see too far, and thoughts
that wander off the edge of the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment