Thursday, June 12, 2014

Yosemite.

It is difficult, and nearly impossible, to describe the majesty and beauty of wilderness, let alone the deep personal experience that each individual has while they are in nature. As a pantheist, I have a deep passionate love for nature that is deeply personal. Being a native Utahn, I have been blessed with the greatest scenery on earth, and I thought that I need not venture outside of its perimeters to find anything that compares. However, I was wrong. Another beautiful thing about nature and wilderness is that each place has its own energy. Yosemite's towering granite mountains and giant sequoia's were unbelievable, and I felt a connection to the environment in a much different way than I had anywhere else. Not to mention the fact that the sequoia's emitted the most intoxicating scent. If I had to attribute a description to it I would describe it as deep, moist, sweet pine with floral notes. I wish that I could bottle it up and make a perfume out of it. We spent five nights in Yosemite, mostly cheating the system and staying at the backpackers camp, and two nights in the wilderness sites. At the wilderness camps there were communal fires, and much like a moth to a flame, these fires drew in some of the most eclectic, interesting people that I have ever met. Our first night we were greeted by a group of older gentlemen who offered us as many kosher, all-beef franks that we could eat. We engaged in hearty conversation as the group began to grow until there were over twenty people around the fire. I took a step back and soaked up the energy of all the different conversations that were going on around me. Twenty-something year old long-distance backpackers were conversing with seventy years old seasoned backpackers while priests were talking to bartenders. It was an overwhelming experience. I could feel other's energy transferring as they opened themselves up to the people around them. The souls were intermingling and reforming from each new conversation and experience, incorporating others people's influence, ideas, and experiences into their own schema. It is remarkable to see someone's face light up when they encounter an idea that sticks with them. You know at that moment they changed a little inside, and it is deeply moving to witness. We were all in the wilderness, doing what we love most and sharing our experience, and our lives, with others. It was a beautiful thing. The next day Shannon and I summited the world-renowned half dome. It was grueling, but the views were unlike any I have experienced before. We met our good pal Stan, who is 70+ years old, as well as a couple of our other fireside friends. After our hike we made our way back to the fire and met another round of beautiful people as well as our older friends. To commemorate our new-found friendship we had the people around the fire write in our travel journals. Here are some of their sentiments: "I never worry about the younger generation when I meet wonderful people like you two. Follow your dreams and make the most of your youth." -Stan. "Experience as much as you can with friends that allow you to be yourself." -Scott (the bartender). Aside from the stunning scenery, the people were the greatest part of my Yosemite experience.


Vernal falls.


The giant sequoia's




On the top of half dome!


Looking down on the valley floor.




Climbing the death defying cables.



The dome.


After our grueling hike we took a refreshing dip in the Merced River. It was freezing.



My mantra for this leg: "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." -Edward Abbey (one of the greatest human's to have ever existed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment